Thursday, May 15, 2014

Michael Pollan at 92Y

Throughout my discovery of "real food" I came across various names of food activists while searching on Google, first place I go to for a little bit of healthy online stalking. One of those names that kept coming up was Michael Pollan. I went on his site and couldn't contain myself from reading all of the information he publishes on there for those seeking more knowledge on the subject of food, health, activism and writing. Mr. Pollan is not only a food activist, he's an author, journalist, and professor of journalism at UC Berkeley School of Journalism. Suffice to say I was beyond excited when I heard he would be visiting New York after an 8 year hiatus and would be coming to 92Y, located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan to discuss his latest book Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation. I purchased 2 tickets, one for myself and my hubby because of course, whatever I become fascinated with I force him to share in on the fascination along with me (sometimes it works, sometimes not). He obliged and off we went to see Michael Pollan on Tuesday, May 13th at 8PM.

Joan Gussow provided a thrilling and charming special introduction; I love when people can be serious about their work and still find time to be funny throughout those tough conversations. After about an hour and a half we said goodbye to Joan and Michael and headed to dinner before going home. It was an honor to hear both Joan and Michael speak about topics they're so passionate about, I hope to one day have the privilege of hearing them speak again about their love for the earth, food, and policy reform.

"Once in a while, I think I've had an original thought, then I look and read around and realize Joan said it first."

-Michael Pollan

No comments:

Post a Comment